WHY?

WHY?

Friday, January 24, 2014

EMTs really delivered for senior

I’m 77 and live alone in a high-rise in Wilkes-Barre. On Sunday morning, Jan. 5, I was getting my trash ready to take down the hall to the trash chute when I became suddenly very ill.
It happened so fast, but I knew I was in trouble. I dialed 911. The emergency medical technicians from the Wilkes-Barre Fire Department seemed to be at my door in 5 seconds. I remember opening the door, and that’s all I remember. I don’t recall the two EMTs, being loaded on a gurney, being wheeled down the hall or the ride in the ambulance to the emergency room at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
It was hours later that I became lucid and the ER doctor told me I had pneumonia and was being admitted. While waiting to be transferred up to the intensive care unit, I noticed my cane standing nearby. I asked the nurse how it got there, and she told me the EMTs brought it in along with a lot of other items.
I checked the “other items.” My heavy winter coat, scarf, gloves, hat, shirt, keys, wallet, eyeglasses, cellphone and even the cellphone charger, which I would need that night! How unbelievably thoughtful was that?
I’m back home after 12 days in the hospital and I still can’t get over how thoughtful the EMTs were in gathering up my personal items. I can’t express my gratitude enough to the Wilkes-Barre Fire Department and especially the two EMTs who responded and went above and beyond their duty.
Thank you.

Ray Rinaldi
Wilkes-Barre
That was Paramedic Mike Stadulis and FF/EMT Robert Stehle.
Good work guys.
Dan Emplit WBFD
AKA Don Quixote

No comments:

Post a Comment