WHY?

WHY?

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Replacing the M9

Pistols with a shot at replacing the M9

So the Army (and if they do, the other branches will probably follow) is looking into replacing the Beretta 92FS (a 9MM handgun).



The M9 replaced the venerable Colt .45 (The M1911A1) back in 1985. It is the standard pistol of the United States Navy, United States Army and the United States Air Force. The M9A1 is also seeing limited issue to the United States Marine Corps.


The Colt .45 is on the left with the M9 on the right.

The Army may be looking at a different caliber as well as a different design.
Calibers rumored to be in the running, Staying with the 9MM, going back to the.45 ACP, the .40 S&W, and the .357 Sig (NOT to revolver cartridge).
My opinion? I've never had a problem with the 9MM. If a round has the minimum (or better) amount of power, I believe shot placement is MUCH more important than caliber. And with or Armed Forces being restricted (largely) to Full Metal Jacket rounds (the alternative would be expanding rounds like Hollow Points), I don't see a point to switching calibers.

Designs rumored to be in the running:
The Smith and Wesson M&P, an excellent choice (Plus it is AMERICAN made)
The Glock, also an excellent choice but it doesn't have a manual safety or a decocking lever (I believe one or the other is a requirement)
The Sig Sauer, a third excellent choice (although I have heard some very bad things about the quality control in the last few years)
The Heckler & Koch P2000, I have zero experience with this weapon.
Both Colt and Springfield have put their hats in with unspecified designs (also AMERICAN made).


I've got to admit, I'm no fan of the M9. I think ANY number of designs would have been MUCH better and I would like to see the contract go to an American company.

Dan Emplit WBFD
USN 1986 - 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment