WHY?

WHY?

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

High-Rises

Casey Roman called me a little while ago. He told me that someone on the Citizens Voice website was claiming that W-B had no high-rises. I don't know where that guy got that idea, I think he was just a troll, like Casey said he was.

W-B has the third highest amount of high-rises in the state. If I remember correctly, we have far more than the next highest city.

The National Fire Protection Association defines a high-rise as being higher than 75 feet, or about 7 stories.

This is one of the big reasons why our manpower MUST not be cut. The fire at the Sherman hills high-rise was almost a nightmare (from what I've been told because I was out of state at the time). People refused to leave the building, they stay close to the building and there are so many people that it overwhelms our department almost immediately when we are not at the strength we need.

Casey has also pointed out,"I can spit out my bedroom window and hit my neighbors house." This is another big reason that these cuts are insane. Fire doubles in size EVERY MINUTE! It will jump from one house to the next with more ease than Casey's spit.
But Leighton doesn't care, Barney farms is well spaced and made of newer materials than most of the city.


We are entering the most dangerous months of the year for fires AND fatalities, But Leighton 'furloughs' your ONLY line of defense.

And with the high-rises being mainly older people the risk is even greater.

Add on Edit: Chief Tom Makar informed me we are actually #4 in number of high rises.
"The order is Philly, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and then W-B tied with Reading is the list from 2005"
Interesting since Reading has roughly twice the population.

Dan Emplit WBFD
AKA Don Quixote

No comments:

Post a Comment